Thursday, December 2, 2010

Brussels Sprouts with Prosciutto and White Wine





When I get a craving for Brussels sprouts, nothing else will do. I love their toothy texture, their slightly sweet but pungent flavor, their bite-size-ness. They are delicious roasted in the oven, creamed, pan-sauteed, fried. Yes, fried. If you've never had a deep fried Brussels sprout, then you are missing out! Get thee to a deep fryer!  I sometimes make sprouts with bacon, because... well, you know. And I usually de-glaze the pan with veg or chicken stock. But I was out of both of those things when I made this version, so I winged it.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients: 3

Chop prosciutto into small pieces, while heating 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet. Cook prosciutto until crispy over medium heat, about 6 minutes. While the meat is crisping, slice ends off sprouts and cut in half. Remove meat to paper towel with a slotted spoon. Dump sprouts into hot grease and sprinkle a little salt and several grindings of black pepper. Toss sprouts frequently, so they get nice and brown, about 5 minutes. De-glaze pan with about 1/4 cup white wine (or stock), taking care to stir up all the lovely brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Cook on medium heat until wine/stock reduces by half, about 5 minutes, then cover and cook until tender, another 5 or 10 minutes. A little more fresh pepper (maybe salt?), then remove to serving bowl and top with crispy prosciutto. I served these little beauties with creamy polenta, and was very popular that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment