Monday, November 15, 2010

Mexican Slaw




I'm usually not a big slaw person. I really like cabbage, raw and cooked, but slaw has never been my jam. So when I found a giant head of purple cabbage in this week's CSA box,  I thought... well, stuffed cabbage is out. And it's too warm for soup. Aw, what the hell. Why not give slaw another chance? The box also contained a big, beautiful bunch of cilantro, giant carrots, and French breakfast radishes, which I somehow forgot about when I was making this (they didn't make it in, obviously, but would've been a fabulous addition). Since I was making this to serve along side traditional beans and Really Good Mexican Rice,  I gave my slaw a Mexican twist by tossing it in a smoky/salty/sour cumin/lime vinaigrette. It was freaking delicious, and provided a crispy, cool counterpoint to the soft, warm beans and rice. Ay, Dios mio!

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: None!
Ingredients: Under 10

*CSA Ingredients

1/2 medium head purple cabbage*, sliced thinly
1/2 bunch cilantro*
4 medium carrots*, grated (I used the large holes on the box grater)
(This is where a less-forgetful cook would add 4 thinly sliced radishes*)

Throw into a large bowl.

Cumin/Lime Vinaigrette **

1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp lime juice
1 pinch salt
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1/4 cup olive oil

Combine cumin, salt, lime juice and mayo, then slowly add half the oil, in a very thin stream, whisking constantly. Taste to decide whether or not to add more oil, or lime juice, or whatever. Vinaigrettes are very personal, and if you're me, they never come out the same way twice. So just keep playing with it. When it's to your liking, drizzle over the raw veggies, toss to coat, taste, and adjust seasonings. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Before serving, taste again, and adjust seasonings if necessary.

** I realized, when making this, that what I dislike about traditional slaw is that cloying sweet twang that the dressing tends to have. There is none of that malarkey here, and that's what made this non-grody, for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment