Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sorta/Kinda Chilaquiles




Chilaquiles is a traditional Mexican dish that involves frying thin strips corn tortilla and onion in oil and red sauce, then scrambling with eggs . It's really a comfort food for me. Unfortunately, my kids think it's weird, so I don't make it very often. This isn't really a traditional version of chilaquiles - I make it with several eggs, and go easy on the sauce - but it's what  my mom used to make, so it's what I make. And it hits the spot, every time.

Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Ingredients: 6

1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
8 corn tortillas, halved and cut into thin strips
8 eggs, beaten with 2 tbsp milk
1/4-1/2 cup Mexican red sauce (think enchilada sauce) (optional)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Cilantro, for garnish

In a non-stick pan, sautee onion in oil, about 2 minutes, then add tortilla strips. Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until they start to brown, about 5 minutes.  Lower heat to medium and add eggs. When eggs are done to your liking - I like mine well done - remove from heat and stir in cheese. Garnish with cilantro, and serve with more sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment